Acareer in Science Policy offers you the potential to have a large-scale, positive impact on society by disseminating
knowledge and information about chemistry. However, there
are tangible rewards as well. In 2017, the median annual wage
for political scientists according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics was $115,110.
The interactive ACS ChemIDP can help you explore, un-
derstand, and plan for a chemistry career in Science Policy. It
includes the following sections:
• Roles and Responsibilities, which explains obligations you
would be held accountable to perform;
• Duties, which gives you a feel for daily tasks to be com-
• Professional Skills, which provides insight into value-added
skills essential to this field.
To see whether a career in Science Policy might suit
your strengths, interests, and skill sets, you can go directly
to the ACS ChemIDP Science Policy Web page above:
Other People In This Field
• Science Policy Profiles
Exploring Science Policy as a Career in Chemistry
Discover more about the roles, responsibilities, and skills you will need to be successful in a
Science Policy position on ChemIDP.org!
• ACS Public Policy Fellowships
• AAAS Science Policy and Technology Fellowships
• Chemist Article: What’s a Nice Chemist Like You
Doing in Science Policy?
• For additional related resources, please go to the
Science Policy page of the ChemIDP